Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. And since way too many of us still aren’t, I urge you to support the World Federation of Diamond Bourses’ COVID-19 relief fund for India or other efforts.
This week in Diamond Shavings: Why retail will be okay. But Walmart may not. Plus, a wedding ring found wrapped around a, um, fish. All below.
– How Pandora manipulated the media.
– Russell Shor bucks Pandora’s statement.
– National Jeweler doesn’t want to hear it anymore.
– Bloomberg: Will natural take the high-end, lab-grown take the low?
– What Pandora’s switch means for Canadian diamond production.
– U.K. firm ramps up lab-grown production.
– The Economist explains how to grow synthetics.
– Fiancée doesn’t like her lab-grown ring.
Pandora’s North American head Sid Keswani departs.
Forevermark will now be called “De Beers Forevermark.”
RealReal stock plunges on weak results, CFO departure.
– Is RealReal launching its own fashion brand?
Some guys dig Tiffany’s male engagement ring.
– Men’s diamond rings are making a comeback.
Five signs retail is going to be okay.
Leaked Walmart memo shows the company’s ongoing challenges.
Blue Nile, Clean Origin open retail stores.
Best curbside pickup practices for retailers.
CIBJO head makes predictions for post-COVID-19 world.
New York jeweler not covered for selling to fake video producer.
100 ct. Spectacle diamond gets $14 million at auction.
Petra Diamonds reaches settlement in human rights case.
– Statement from law firm, company.
– NGO calls for more oversight.
– What review found.
How artisanal gold can “change lives for the better.”
Angola invites Belgians to invest in diamond industry.
NGO: Congo stands to lose from Gertler deals.
Democratic Republic of Congo’s diamond hub loses luster as hardships bite.
15 die in Guinea gold mine collapse.
The history of indigenous rights and Argyle diamonds.
Sotheby’s unveils retail, online marketplace.
Long’s Fine Jewelers opens Boston’s first Rolex boutique.
Interview with president of Patek Philippe.
– Not big on Zoom calls.
Guy on Medium doesn’t wear his Apple Watch every day anymore.
The reasons behind Cartier’s enduring success.
The man behind Chanel’s 55 ct. diamond necklace.
Rapaport appoints chief marketing officer for India.
Borsheims appoints three from sales floor.
How Jen Cullen Williams is managing.
Couple find ring on first date, locate original owner.
Fish found with lost wedding ring wrapped around it.
Pablo Picasso’s watch to be auctioned.
Unusual celebrity engagement rings.
From the Blog
Pandora’s Bollocks: How a Charm Company Manipulated the Media
From the Podcast
The Jewelry District, Episode 44: Our Digital Future, Tiffany’s Male Engagement Rings, Burma Sanctions
Have a safe and healthy weekend.
– Email: rbates – at – jckonline.com.
– Twitter: @robbatesjck
– Connect on LinkedIn
(Photo: Getty Images)